Cultural encounters are a common occurrence in human history. Their impact varies on cultures and individuals especially as they relate to questions of identity and self-worth. The cultural encounter in such a case becomes fundamental to one’s perception of oneself and the cultures to which s/he relates. Explore how cultural encounters are manifested in literary works, specifically short stories from An Anthology of Short Stories from Five Continents, with particular reference to “One Out of Many” by V.S. Naipaul.
In the process of answering the TMA, you should make sure to include the below five sub questions:
1) How is the concept of cultural encounter treated in the short story? Is it a mere encounter, or does it develop into something more?
2) Is the author aware of the cultural encounter theme? How does he manifest that awareness in terms of ideas and his selection of words or scenarios?
3) Is the main character in the short story aware of the cultural encounter theme? How does he express his awareness?
4) Are the other characters in the short story aware of the cultural encounter theme? How do they express their awareness?
5) How is the concept of “people colour” used to highlight the theme of cultural encounter in the story?