THE MANITOBA ECONOMY.
Your assignment is to choose a specific industry from the list below and prepare a report on that
industry in Manitoba.
What I will be looking for in this assignment is a description of the industry, its role and
significance for the Manitoba economy, an analysis of its recent performance and an assessment
of its future prospects.
Your report should (if appropriate):
1) Describe the economic activity that characterizes the industry selected. What goods or
services does the industry produce? Are there identifiable subsectors that comprise this industry?
if so, what are they?
2) In Manitoba, indicate where, geographically, the industry is located or most heavily
concentrated, and possibly explain the reasons for that geographical location.
3) Identify the kind of firms or other institutional organizations characterize this industry.
Public? Private? Large? Small?
4) Provide and use some economic data for the industry. Important statistics would
include, if possible data on the industry’s GDP, and employment levels. Possibly prices of key
inputs, or of the industry’s products might be of interest.
5) Discuss and explain the structure of the market (or markets) with which this industry is
associated. Is there competition? Is it highly regulated? Are the important markets local, national,
6) Describe and analyze the work and the workers characteristic of the industry. What
kind of workers does the industry employ? Are they well paid? Are they skilled? Unionized?
7) Consider and analyze the kind of linkages that this industry might have with other
industries in the Manitoba economy.
8) Consider recent trends and development.
9) Where appropriate, make use of your knowledge of the relevant economic theory in
your explanation and interpretation.
10) Try to assess, as best you can, the “upside risks” and the “downside risks” that might
affect the industry’s economic performance and growth in 2018, 2019 and 2020.
11) For your research, you should search for and, if relevant, use material from a number
of different sources, including:
a) statistical sources, such as Statistics Canada
b) official industry or company sources, such as industry and/or company
c) government sources, such as Province of Manitoba websites, including those
for specific government departments
d) news media sources, such as newspaper articles, online news items, etc..
12) Be sure to clearly indicate what the source is for all of the data and information that
you use in your report. In other words, provide clear references so that the reader of the report
can easily find and check any data or information, if he or she should wish to do so.
13) If you quote phrases or sentences directly from another source, you need to identify
the quotation by using quotation marks, and provide the reference for that source.
Your report must NOT exceed 4 double spaced, typewritten pages (excluding charts,
diagrams, tables, references).
It is acceptable for students to work together in their research for and discussion of the content of
this assignment. However, each student must prepare and submit their own, individual, distinct
assignment. Joint or group assignments, or duplicates and copies of someone else’s assignment,
are not acceptable.
The assignment must be handed in before 4:00pm on Thursday, November 22, 2018. Please
provide a hard copy, not an electronic copy. Please be sure that you have kept an extra copy of
the assignment for your own files.
Please select an industry for your report from the following list:
1. Metallic mining
2. Aerospace Products and Parts Manufacturing [NAICS 3364]
3. Educational Services: Universities [NAICS 6113]