This essay will be a thesis-driven, research-supported essay. Your purpose is to make an original argument and support it with evidence. Your intended audience is an academic one; therefore, tone, language and style should be appropriate for an academic audience.
Length: Minimum length requirement is six full pages. Maximum length is 8 pages. The Works Cited page does not count towards page count. You may go over this maximum if you feel it enriches your argument.
You have three choices for your essay topic. Please choose ONE of the three choices, meaning one topic beneath each category. Then, develop a thesis that clearly indicates your stance on this issue.
*NOTE: If you would like to come up with your own topic and subsequent thesis, you must email me for approval.
1. TECHNOLOGY AND EDUCATION
Analyze the impact of a particular trend in technology on education and take an argumentative approach to this issue.
You might analyze any one of the following. These are just examples. Many approaches are possible for this topic.
a) The potential impact of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) on higher education. You might focus on a particular field of study for this choice.
b) The impact of online courses on education. You might focus on a particular field of study for this choice.
c) The impact of digital media on online courses
d) The impact of the computer on writing courses or courses in other disciplines
e) The impact of certain forms of technology on reading skills or reading habits, for example the ubiquity of texting for communication and how that may affect academia.
f) Whether video games should be introduced into schools and used to help educate students
2. TECHNOLOGY AND YOUR FIELD OF STUDY
Analyze the impact of technology on a field of study of your choice. Take an argumentative approach to this issue. Continue scrolling………
This option represents a more general approach to the essay.
Some examples might be the following. These are just examples. Many approaches are possible for this topic.
a. The impact of mobile devices on cybersecurity
b. The impact of the Internet on the field of advertising
c. The impact of cloud computing on a particular business field
d. The impact of the Internet in an area of communication studies
e. The impact of the Internet on global marketing strategies
f. The impact of a particular type of technology on health care
3) CHOOSE YOUR OWN ARGUMENTATIVE TOPIC. FOR THIS OPTION, PLEASE EMAIL ME FOR APPROVAL. THIS IS REQUIRED.
Strategies for the essay
The essay should have the following elements:
• an engaging introductory paragraph. You might even want to cite a direct quote or paraphrase from an academic source in the opening paragraph to make your opening engaging to the reader.
• an effective and clear thesis statement, either explicitly presented or implied.
• if needed, a statement of definitions and background on the topic on which you are writing.
o You will want to define any terms necessary for the reader that the reader may not be familiar with.
o You may want to provide a historical background on your topic, if needed.
• unified, supported, and coherent body paragraphs that defend the thesis
• sources cited throughout the body paragraphs that support the arguments in the paper. A balance of paraphrases and direct quotes should be smoothly integrated within the essay. All paraphrases and quotes from sources should be followed with parenthetical citations according to MLA style of documentation.
• an effective, satisfying conclusion
• a Works Cited page that lists the sources cited. The references should be listed in MLA format.
The sources and citation format for this essay
You are required to use at least five academic sources for this essay. Keep scrolling…….
At least three of the minimum five must be acquired through the databases subscribed to by PGCC’s Information and Library Services (print or electronic).
You may not use the following sources: Wikipedia, Schmoop, Sparknotes, GradeSaver, Bookrags, or any “essay assistance” websites. We will discuss in class how to differentiate a scholarly, academic source from an invalid, casual one.
Keep in mind that if the sources are scholarly, the argument you make in the paper will be more persuasive. For this reason, feel free to use all scholarly sources if you can.
In addition, please feel free to cite more than five sources. You may find six sources are necessary to establish your argument and defend your thesis.
This essay is a persuasive essay, in which you try to persuade the reader of a particular position. Here’s a brief example of a topic:
For a persuasive essay, you could take the position that video games should be integrated into school science curricula to teach middle school students. You would cite articles that demonstrate research studies and other pieces of evidence to support the claim that video games can enhance instruction in science classes and will help middle school students learn science more effectively. You will acknowledge some of the opposition to this argument but again counter them with your critical ideas and research.
When you write a persuasive essay, please follow the following option for organization:
• Classical (deductive) approach (this approach is the preferred method of organization). Please see Course Docs for organization model.