• Topic: Please choose one of the following works, first identify the controversial and complex issue documented on the work, and then critically analyze this issue from multiple perspectives.
• Works of choice and suggested themes
1. R. K. Narayan, The English Teacher (1945) [The collision of Western and Indian cultures]
• Note: The 6-8 page paper must be double spaced in 12 point type and have at least 1” margins on all sides. Make sure to proofread your papers for grammatical and spelling errors. If you need to cite or paraphrase any text from lecture notes or course readings, please disclose the origins of your sources in footnote or endnote format. You are encouraged to seek advice from the Writing Center or Instructor if you encounter any difficulties while writing your papers.
• Guideline: Although the paper does not require outside research, it does require utilization of required readings and lecture notes to analyze the assigned texts. Please do not summarize the story. Your analytical skill will be the determining factor of your grade.
• Basic elements of a good paper: identifiable thesis, understandable structure for thesis, appropriate use of evidence, clear analysis relates to “mini-thesis”, logical argumentation, and good writing mechanics.