After watching the Doing the Right Thing video, “What does it mean to be human?” respond to the following questions.
Widespread use of genetic testing has resulted in a massive reduction in the number of children with Down’s Syndrome born in the U.S.; rather than being born, Down’s Syndrome babies are being aborted. This practice will effectively exterminate the next generation of Down’s children.
1. What do you think are the ethical and practical issues involved in these decisions? What do you think that communicates to people with Down’s and their families?
2. Another example of current eugenics-inspired practices is the market for sperm and egg donations from people of specified ethnicity, height, hair and eye color, educational achievement, etc. for in vitro fertilization and implantation. What are the ethical implications of this practice?
3. Given that eugenics resulted in forced sterilizations, should these trends worry us? What potential problems (e.g., with medical insurance) might come from our current forms of eugenics?
4. As you reflect on what it means to be human, what conclusions can you draw?After watching the video and thinking about what it means to be human, what have you learned?
5. Describe at least one specific way in which you can apply what you have learned about what it means to be human.