For all questions, you are required to apply relevant strategic models. In some cases, the model is indicated, in others you need to choose the appropriate model(s). You are encouraged to add more depth to your answers with additional strategic theory and ideas.
Question A 40% Industry Evolution and Managing Innovation (roughly 1200 words)
1. Was there a first mover advantage in the smartphone industry? Why or why not?
2. Where in its life cycle do you consider the smartphone industry to be? How well do you think the Industry Life Cycle model explains what is happening in the industry now? Justify your evaluation by considering what is well explained, poorly explained and missing.
Question B 40% Global Strategy (roughly 1200 words)
In these questions note that they concern Coca Cola the company not just the collection of drinks branded Coca Cola.
1. Appraise whether Coca Cola gains a competitive advantage from being an American company.
2. Coca Cola is renowned as an owner and manager of global brands. Thinking about the whole business (with marketing being just one of several functions), set out how Coca Cola balances global integration and national differentiation.
Question C: 20% The Future (roughly 600 words)
Choose ONE company operating in either the smartphone OR the carbonated soft drinks industry.
1. Make one or more suggestions for what strategic actions the company should make next. Justify your recommendations. (Note that if you choose Coca Cola, they have already moved to acquire Costa Coffee so recommending this acquisition does not address what next.)